Describe the techincal services area at your field placement and how techincal services are delivered ( eg. Outsourced, in-house, centrally managed).
- Academic services
- Shared service – university and college
- Techincian librarians operate the back of the library
- University and college budget.
- Resources prepare and attain
- 64 000 , six books per student, in the library
- Durham college has 11 000, 4 books per student, in the library
- Durham college print and electronic – 75 % are digital, 25 % ( print or hard copy)
- OUIT -, 10 % print, 95 % e journals, streaming videos, all students have access too.
- 150 computers (North Oshawa campus).
- Budget- 4 million dollars, staff, Durham College and UOIT.
- Budget freeze ( A challenge)
- Leisure books – spend the money at chapters
- Influence / suggestion by patron
- 12 years – pre. Tech a single company, two full time staff, four branches location.
- Carol ( associate librarain for collections) looks after Acquistions and ordering for collections)
- Tracking of orders
- Keeping file
- Physicals processing – stamping , adding record IS
- Integration – BIB records, copy cataloging and new items.
- Tech varies of different jobs.
- Maintenance – discarding material, ordering, replaced and repair
- Cannot be kept for long time, weeding out.
- Count on what we have and what’s being used, take out, aspect report stats, Canadian assisocation research,
- Sirsi Dynix, module, technical services, reporting and acquisitions
- Vendors, coutts / proquest ( DC AND UIOT)
- YBP ( divi of EBSCO ) GOBI UOIT only
- OCLS ( ontario college library services)
- Oclc LTS
When I was at my placement not only did I get to do some In house porcessing ( stamping the prints with personal stamps and placing the RFD tag in the back of the books) – the barcodes and the spine label and Marc record where already done by the service center- I got to see how the invoices were created when purchasing a book online from the vendors, transactive between the colleges and collection developers and when they come in the mail and have to file them online – claiming you have the invoice since there mail seperate- and actiavating the record when processing is complete. Seeing how Techinal service works was amazing because I love processing and catalolging. I also got to see some copy cataloguing as well making a new record.